
May 18, 2026
When Hurricane Ian destroyed Brenda Elze's Florida home in September 2022, she did what any homeowner would do. She called her insurance company. She followed their instructions. She trusted them when they told her they would "take care of everything."
On May 18, 2026, a Manatee County judge denied a motion by Swyfft, LLC and Clear Blue Specialty Insurance Company to end Elze's lawsuit before a jury could hear it. The judge also denied the companies' request to delay the trial. Elze, a single mother of two and an Air Force veteran, will finally get to tell her story to a jury of her peers.
Her story is straightforward. Hurricane Ian made her home unlivable. Swyfft assigned a restoration company to handle her belongings. When that company gave her a contract to sign, Elze called Swyfft to ask if she should sign it. The lawsuit alleges a Swyfft representative told her to "absolutely sign the document and let them take your goods."
What followed, according to the lawsuit, was more than $132,000 in restoration charges—far beyond her policy's $90,000 contents limit. A Swyfft adjuster later admitted in writing that mistakes had been made. The companies asked the court to throw out the case. The judge refused. Those questions, the court ruled, belong to a jury.
For more information, read the official press release at: https://www.justlyprudent.com/press-releases/florida-court-denies-insurance-company-summary-judgment-and-allows-veteran-single-mother-case-to-go-to-jury-trial

